Pages

Of Computers, troubles and my Experiments with programming as a beginner.

Monday, March 17, 2008

Choosing a Compiler

When you get started with programming, it is enough to start with pen and paper approach. (Or, pencil and paper approach ;) if you like it.) In fact, I'd recommend this. This way, you are placing more emphasis on the logic rather than the nuances of your compiler. If you get started with programming on your computer directly, then error messages can be a distraction. So,I'd always recommend that we start out without actually trying to compile and execute a program. We shall do that in due time, but not just yet.
Once you get the basics of programming and are ready to code using the computer, then you need to choose the right compiler for you. If you plan to use C and then later on upgrade to C++, then Dev C++ is a natural choice. It's strong, it's user friendly and what's more, it's FREE. If you have facilities available at your place of education or something like that, even VC++ by Microsoft might be a good option as long as you can afford it.
For people who want to use only C, I'd still recommend Dev C++ because I hate using the Turbo C and the Borland C compilers. No, it's not just that I hate it. Loads of people hate it. These compilers are ancient and act up frequently. I am sure many people will still be ardent fans of these and I mean no disrespect. In their day and age, they were pretty good. But it's time we move on.

No comments: