Pages

Of Computers, troubles and my Experiments with programming as a beginner.

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Integrating Facebook, Twitter and Your Blog

I was a little late to start Tweeting and using Facebook. I didn't have a lot of time in hand, and Orkut seemed good enough. But then sooner or later (as in my case), you will get swooped in and jump aboard the social networking bandwagon. Resistance is futile. :) It should be fine too, as long as you don't take the 'social networking 24 x 7' tag mobile service providers advertise, too seriously.

Integrating Twitter and FB:

I found this nice link on how to do this, and on reading the page in the link, found that it is not a biggie. If you know your way around Facebook applications, then you would not have landed on this page (or the aforementioned page for that.) So, I am assuming you need help or a simpler description. :D (I am assuming Google actually indexes this site. Otherwise no one will ever land here.)

1. The Twitter Facebook application

I don't know why, but I couldn't get this to work. From the comments on the application page on Facebook, a lot of other people couldn't get it to work either. A few screen shots are shown below:






2. The Selective Tweets Facebook application

This application allows you to selectively set tweets as your Facebook status. All you need to do is end your tweet with (or if you tweak the settings, just randomly place) a #fb sign.

I tried setting this up, and found that it didn't work as well. I was reading through the Help section, and went back to my Facebook Profile to find the tweet sitting there. :) Just impatience on my part. :D A nervous smile appears on my face. This is how the page should look, and there should be a prompt that follows that will look as shown below.





I am not sure why my username appeared thrice, but as long as it works, I am happy.

Displaying tweets on your Blog:

Wordpress blog:

I have tried it on my wordpress blog, and it works. Ok, this is no big deal either. There is a Widget - Twitter and all you need to do is put your username in there. A password is not required since what is displayed is publicly available anyway.

Blogger Blog:

Ok, I am sure there is a widget out there. Let me check on that and edit this post.

Ok, I found a gadget under featured called - Twitter updates by Blogger Buster. This works and is currently on display in this very blog. There is also this gadget called TwitPic Updates, but I haven't tried that yet.

No comments: